DALLAS, 23 July 2013 – Today, the Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR) announces the full program for its third annual, industry outlook conference, Predict: Inspiring Confidence in an unPREDICTable Time. To be held Thursday, 12 September 2013 in New York City at the Waldorf Astoria, it will be limited to C-level executives and will focus on the results of the CEIR Index which provides an objective measure of the annual performance of the exhibition industry, measuring year-over-year changes and predictions for all 14 industry sectors and the overall exhibition industry through 2015.
New this year, City Talk is a featured session that will provide an extraordinary discussion among elected officials about the economic impact of exhibitions. Featuring Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, City of Baltimore, Maryland, Mayor Michael S. Rawlings, City of Dallas, Texas, Mayor Annise D. Parker, City of Houston, Texas and Mayor Teresa Jacobs, Orange County, Florida, this distinguished panel will examine what the future may hold for their cities and the long-term impact that trade shows are having on their facilities, labor unions, local businesses and more. As a result of the session, attendees will have a better understanding of the challenges large city mayors face and the desired business relationship between those that organize events and those that host them.
Also new this year, Bain & Company Senior Economist/Macro Trends Group Austin Kim will provide an outlook on the global and regional macro economies, and which indicators are important to watch. He will discuss future projections during the session, Global Economic Outlook and Impact on the Exhibition Industry and provide insight about the current impact of improving consumer confidence and spending in regard to home sales, construction and automobile sales, to name a few. Collaboratively with attendees, he will explore the economic forecast for growth and the factors that may affect optimism.
Throughout the program, the key issues to be discussed include:
- Can robust recovery continue? What are the global economic factors to watch?
- What non-economic features of the exhibition industry might help insulate it from challenges – both known and unknown?
- How do different industry sectors impact the performance of others?
Attendees will interact with presenters and colleagues throughout the day to share best practices, ideas and future strategies including projected event growth, merger and acquisition strategies and planned launches. Attendance is limited to C-Level, exhibition organizer executives, merger and acquisition firms, private equity firms, debt providers, investment firms and the financial press to allow for an intimate, high-level idea exchange about the future of the exhibition industry and implications for specific business sectors and their supporting exhibitions.
The Predict 2013 program task force, chaired by Bob Priest-Heck, Chief Operating Officer for Freeman confirms, “This year’s Predict will continue in the collaborative spirit for which it is known, and we have designed a program to address the hard questions so attendees’ expectations will be exceeded and they will leave with a sense of the economic outlook for their own events. The line-up of speakers and moderators is extraordinary this year, and will keep attendees engaged and not only at Predict but for the foreseeable future.”
To review the complete program, visit www.ceir.org/predict.
Sessions, Moderators and Presenters confirmed as of 17 July 2013:
Predict 2013 Co-chairs:
David Audrain, CEM, President & CEO, Clarion Events North America
Dennis Slater, President, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
Sector Panel 1: Building, Construction, Home & Repair (HM)/Raw Materials (RM)
Moderator: Rick McConnell, President, Hanley Wood Exhibitions
- Gerald Howard, Chief Executive Officer, National Association of Home Builders
- Megan Tanel, Vice President of Exhibitions & Events, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
Luncheon and Keynote: Collaborative Crowdsourcing and its Impact on the Exhibition Industry
Moderator: Chris Brown, EVP of Conventions & Business Operations, National Association of Broadcasters
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Clay Shirky, Adjunct Professor for New York University's Graduate Interactive Telecommunications Program
Featured Guest: John Graham III, CAE, President & CEO, American Society of Association Executives
Sector Panel 2: Communications and Information Technology (IT)/Healthcare (MD)
Moderator: Marco Pardi, President, UBM Tech Events
- Norris Orms, CAE, FACHE, Chief Operating Officer, HIMSS
- Scott Schenker, General Manager, Worldwide Events and Microsoft Production Studio
- Karen Chupka, Senior Vice President of Events and Conferences, Consumer Electronics Association/CES
Sector Panel 3: Manufacturing (ID)/Consumer Goods (CG)
- Peter Eelman, Vice President – Exhibitions & Communications, The Association for Manufacturing Technology
- Britton Jones, President & CEO, Business Journals Inc
- Charles McCurdy, CEO, GLM
- Chuck Yuska, President & CEO, Packaging Machinery Manufacturers Institute
Sector Panel 4: Financial, Legal, Real Estate (FN)/Discretionary Consumer Goods (CS)/Sporting Goods and Entertainment (ST)
Moderator: David Ingemie, President, SnowSports Industries America
- Marian Bossard, Vice President, Meetings & Events, Toy Industry Association Inc
- Chris DeMoulin, President of Licensing & EVP of Power Sports Group, Advanstar Communications
- Kerry Gumas, CEO, Questex Media Group
- Richard Melville, Group Editorial Director, Banking & Capital Markets, SourceMedia
Outlook M&A and Financing
Moderator: Wilma Jordan, Founder & CEO, The Jordan Edmiston Group Inc
- Nick Forster, Consultant to Reed Exhibition Companies Ltd
- Michael Gilbert, Director, Investment Banking/Technology, Media & Telecom, Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC
- John Lambert, Executive Vice President Leveraged Finance, US Bank, N.A.
- Amir Motamedi, Director, Onex Corporation
CEIR sincerely appreciates the support it has received from sponsors of this year’s Predict.
- Global Experience Specialists (GES)
- Visit Houston
- McCormick Place/SMG
- Orange County Convention Center
- Visit Orlando
- New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Reed Exhibitions
- Access Intelligence
- Ascend Integrated Media
- a2z, Inc.
- bXb Online
- Convention News Television (CNTV)
- Georgia World Congress Center
- International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE)
- Trade Show Executive
- Wyndham Jade
The Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR) serves to advance the growth, awareness and value of exhibitions and other face-to-face marketing events by producing and delivering research-based knowledge tools that enable stakeholder organizations to enhance their ability to meet current and emerging customer needs, improve their business performance and strengthen their competitive position. For additional information, go to www.ceir.org.
Susan Brower, CMM, CCP
+1 (972) 687-9207